February 2017: #fijchallenge Salt

Welcome to the land of Salt!

After all the stresses of learning and working to perfect marmalades I was ready for the next challenge: Salt

Salt is something I have worked with in the past and immensely enjoyed!  There is a world of opportunity.  I got a little ambitious, as you will see.  

Bag of Lemons
Lemons from a friends tree
It all started with a friend's Meyer Lemon Tree, or rather bush. For those who don't know, California is a citrus state.  I'm not just talking oranges, but all types of citrus.  It's rather ridiculous when you discover people are buy and shipping boxes of lemons, oranges and other citrus when most of what I have are from friends yards.  It's made me grateful to live in California. 

Yes, Lemons.  Meyer Lemons. Wonderful sour and sweet, and sugary Lemons.  People love to give me their excess from the garden because I don't tend to wast it.  I went to a friend's house because she has a lemon bush and picked a bag.  This picture is from after I used more than half of the lemons.  LOTS OF LEMON!

Salted lemons 3 ways

I knew that I was going to do the Salted Lemons, just because I comfortable with past practices. 
I made several jars of Salted Lemons, trying slightly different methods but realized I like and prefer a particular method.  I don't really measure, just make sure I have plenty of salt.  I like being able to make what I call "micro" batch.  Doing with a little almost the same as what I can do with a lot. Plus I do tend to have small spaces so no room for much storage.  
My preferred method is to thoroughly scrub the lemon with water and a brush. While drying, make sure that you have a container that is clean and sterilized.  I pour about a 1/4 inch of kosher or canning salt in the bottom of the jar.  Cut a lemon in 1/4's, but only to the last 1/2 inch of the lemon so the sections are still connected. Pour generously the salt into the core of the lemon and pinch it shut.  Smoosh the lemon into the bottom of the jar.  repeat until the jar is packed full.   Top it with a little more salt, and wait.  If in a few hours (2-3) the lemons have not created juice to ensure they are covered you can add lemon juice.  I prefer to squeeze some from the bounty of lemons, but commercial lemon juice is fine provide it is juice, not some cocktail of chemicals. stick in the fridge and use later. They are good for 6 months to a year, A year is pushing it though. 

Like I said before, there are so many options it is hard to decide.  Next....Sour Kraut,  lemon salt, and salted eggs. (recipes are in the links) 

Salted goods counter clockwise:
Egg Yokes (before being transferred to Cheese Cloth),
Lemon Salt, Carrot adn Cabbage Sour Kraut, Salted lemons. 
The Salt Cured Egg Yokes was something I had not even heard of before the challenge, plus it's working with a protein so I had to try.  Fairly simple in my terms. Bed of salt with divots for yokes. egg yokes placed gently into the divots. Cover with more salt. Cover and wait 2 weeks. Gently remove from the salt and brushed off excess. Make little bags from cheesecloth for each yoke.  Hang to finish cure the yokes.  Wait, then use as desired.  




Comments